Cherry Hill Medical Malpractice Lawyers: What Constitutes Medical Malpractice?
The term medical malpractice refers to medical treatment that fails to meet the medical profession’s accepted standards of care and results in injury or death of a patient. Medical malpractice lawsuits arise when a healthcare provider neglects to provide necessary treatment or makes an error that causes unnecessary harm to the patient. The potential for medical mistakes exists in all specialties and areas of practice. Lawsuits can be filed because of negligence, errors in administering medication or inadequate treatment.
Examples of medical malpractice related to medication errors include:
- A patient suffers an adverse reaction to a medication that they are allergic to because the prescribing doctor failed to read the patient’s chart.
- The wrong medication is accidentally administered to a patient.
- A pharmacist dispenses the wrong medication and causes a prescription drug injury.
Examples of medical malpractice involving inadequate treatment include:
- Surgical error caused by operating on a right side of the body limb that should have been done on the left side.
- A nurse fails to follow sterile procedures which results in a hospital-acquired infection.
- A doctor fails to provide accurate follow up instructions resulting in further injury to a patient.
If you received substandard medical treatment that caused you further injury or illness, you may be entitled to file a medical malpractice claim against the negligent healthcare professional responsible for your care. At Folkman Law Offices, we offer free phone consultations to people who believe they may have a valid medical malpractice claim. Submit an online inquiry or call our Cherry Hill medical malpractice lawyers at 856-354-9444 today.