Cherry Hill Medical Malpractice Lawyers: Understaffing During Summer May Lead to More Hospital Mistakes
Posted on July 5, 2016 in Medical Malpractice by Folkman
Like many American workers, healthcare employees often take time off in the summer. However, summer vacations may leave hospitals understaffed. During certain times of the year and even certain times of the day, a hospital is more likely to be missing some of its most skilled staff members.
Since shifts are often determined by seniority, the most skilled physicians and surgeons usually do not work evenings or weekends, when people typically prefer to have off from work. Holidays and summers are also prime vacation times generally reserved for senior staff members and full-time employees; therefore, part-time or temporary employees are more likely to be working during night shifts and summer months.
Tips for Hospital Patients during Short-Staff Times
No one plans an emergency visit to the hospital. However, if you have an emergency that requires medical treatment immediately, you must go, regardless of the season or time of day. Following these tips can help ensure that you receive proper care and treatment at the hospital.
- Make sure you have an advocate available for you while you are in the hospital. Whether you have a close friend, relative or a private patient advocate at the hospital, make sure someone else is asking the right questions during your stay.
- Ask for the names of those who are treating you, and request medical staff that you know and trust.
- Know the best way to contact an on-call specialist, and ask if specialists are on site. It is best to know ahead of time in case an emergency does arise.
- Do not go home before you are ready. Due to understaffing, a hospital may try to send you home earlier than you feel comfortable with. Be sure to consult your advocate if you feel this is happening.
- Don’t stay too long. At home, you may be less prone to infection and better able to heal. Have someone stay with you while you recover at home if necessary.
Cherry Hill Medical Malpractice Lawyers at Folkman Law Fight for Patients Harmed by Medical Negligence
A lean hospital staff is never an excuse for medical negligence. If you or a loved one has been a victim of medical malpractice due to understaffing or any another medical error, call Cherry Hill medical malpractice lawyers at Folkman Law at 856-354-9444 or contact us online. We offer free case evaluations by phone to victims of medical malpractice in South Jersey, Philadelphia and the King of Prussia area.