Cherry Hill Birth Injury Lawyers: Common Birth Injuries
Posted on September 14, 2016 in Medical Malpractice by Folkman
Injuries that occur during childbirth are heartbreaking. While many birth injuries do not cause permanent damage to newborns, some can have lasting effects. Common birth injuries that may cause harm to infants include:
- Brachial Plexus Injuries (BPI): This injury affects nerves in the upper spine, neck, shoulder, and arm. Brachial plexus injuries range in severity. Some may resolve within a few days without any lasting effects, while others may cause permanent damage and paralysis.
- Bone Fracture: Traumatic fractures, often to the collarbone, can occur during birth. Many will heal on their own or with immobilization, but some may require further treatment.
- Perinatal Asphyxia: Perinatal asphyxia refers to an insufficient oxygen supply during birth which could result in permanent neurological impairment.
- Facial Paralysis: If an infant’s facial nerve is injured during birth, facial muscles may be left paralyzed. Usually facial paralysis is temporary.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries can be severe and cause permanent neurological damage or paralysis. Such injuries are sometimes caused by forceps use.
If your infant sustained injuries during childbirth that may have resulted from the negligence of a doctor, nurse, midwife, or other medical professional, you may be able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the responsible party. Long-term effects of birth injuries can be devastating and costly. Contact us online, or call Folkman Law at 856-354-9444 for a free phone consultation with an experienced Cherry Hill medical malpractice lawyer.